Dave Jackson

I've been doing some real soul searching on this idea lately myself. Having
been a carpenter for over 15 years, and a wood worker for about 10, I still
cannot decide at what point can a man consider himself a "master carpenter"
or "master craftsman". My SWMBO (bless her) says that I am one, but that I
just won't admit it. She is constantly telling me that I can do everything
Norm can, and, to a point, this is true. Although I'm fully aware my
learning curve is a couple of years behind him. (I wonder how and when he
decided on the title!) Through internet searches, I've really found nothing
to use as a measure to compare my skills to and make a decision as to what
my title should be. Some info exists on the "master craftsman" of
yesteryear, but the whole chain of events leading to a man's masters title
is really not in operation in this country today. Here is my resume in short
order:
When it comes to home building, I've done it all, and learned to do it
well. Whether it be rough framing, or finishing trim. ( I jokingly call
myself a "rough finish carpenter") Remodeling old homes or building new, I
have all the bases covered. Heck, I'm even a certified home inspector.
As far as furniture/cabinet making, I rarely run into an unforeseen
problem. I haven't built everything (yet!) , but I feel I have acquired
enough skills to make quality casework and can run productively.
I have a lathe. Turning wood is another realm of woodworking
altogether. Although I can make good turnings for projects I build,
occasional complications are expected. In this field, I would consider
myself an amateur turner.
More recently, I've began carving. The goal is to be able to carve
cabriole legs and other ornamentation for period furniture. I am
definitely a novice here. My first attempt at the ball and claw foot looked
more like a turkey leg holding a pumpkin, but it's getting better! I think
once I've learned to carve, I will be able to replicate a colonial highboy
without many complications.
This business of having a title wouldn't be of too much importance to me
if I was only a hobbyist woodworker, but I have devoted my life to building
stuff from wood. It's more than just "I'm the best carpenter I know", It's
a serious passion, if not an addiction, and I believe an appropriate title
should accompany. The problem lies in that no formal education exists in
this country (that I know of) in which a "master's degree" could be offered
for carpentry or wood working. Most every other profession I can think of
has a chain of requirements needed to earn a title. The title is then what
sets that person apart in their chosen profession, and in their community.
I'm hesitant to put the word "master craftsman" or something next to my name
simply because I really have no idea what requirements I would need to be
considered as such, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable just self
proclaiming it. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated here!
Thanks, dave

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
On 30 Jan 2005 20:31:29 -0800, wrote:

How is it that we, as woodworkers, gauge our progress from rank amateur
to seasoned craftsman?

Snip

I hit another milestone today. It was this:
"Dude, those are way nicer than what you see in the stores." That was
my buddy, referring to a pair of end tables I made this weekend.
Admittedly, he furniture shops at Big Lots, but the reverence was
genuine.

Also, for some of y'all, there's got to be a point at which you don't
reach many more real milestones. The learning curve has pretty well
flattened out. I mean, is there ever a point at which woodworking
becomes purely rote execution, or is there _always_ a challenge in it?
For all the work I did on two end tables (and two accent tables last
weekend), I figure I've got small tables down cold. At least, small
tables with 2x2 legs and 4" aprons and dowel joints.

So what is the standard by which we measure our growth? First project?
First dovetail? First commission? First cabinet? Or maybe Last
cabinet, Mr. Watson?
Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, and was curious.

-Phil Crow

I haven't made it to the skilled craftsman measure yet but my major
mileposts we

My son wanting something I made. I made a patio chair from some
2X4s out of a library book project plan.

My daughter wanting a table to fit in an alcove. This was a first
time making a table. It is a hallway/sofa table based upon a shaker
design. A lot of firsts with this one. My daughter's friends
wouldn't believe it was hand made and had to make closer inspections.
That put a grin on my face.

Made some wall shelves that were based upon pictures from a
Ballard catalog. They were listed at $90 and made for about
$15 from molding. The SWMBO has six of them hanging on
the walls; first major approval. Daughter has a couple now
too.

First sale of work to some of my daughter's friends who wanted
what I made for her patio: utility benches, patio chairs and matching
small table. Real money for those; a first.

Oh, and recycling wood from dumpsters at construction sites.
So I haven't spent much on wood, mostly on screws, paint,
sandpaper and such.

I really enjoy the Adirondack chairs I made for myself. Just
sitting in 'em makes me feel good; enjoying the day with
a brew and the shop dog by my side ( oh, meant to say
the SWMBO at my side). ;-)

Thunder

P.S. Project list now includes: book shelf for computer room,
daughter request for cedar chest, headboard for SWMBO,
and another workbench for myself. Ha! Waiting for
the weather to warm up to start again.