On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:19:11 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."
wrote:

I've been in the process of do a complete redesign of my website and I'm
always trying to balance using tons of graphics with the fact that some
people might get frustrated with download times if they have a slower
connection. I'm just curious to know what type of connection most of you
have to the internet. Personally, I'm on cable. It's pricey but I'll never
go back. How about all of you?

I try to design both commercial and personal sites for the "lowest
common denominator"...
We tend to build stuff the way WE want to look at it.... high res,
lots of flash and graphics, etc.... and the average guy can't or won't
wait to get there before hitting the BACK button..

Keep in mid that the Web is a three-dimensional medium. The third
dimension isn't depth -- it is time.

Further remember that flash and graphics -- unless used wisely --
produce a lower-quality experience for the viewer. For example looping
animations may look neat, but they're highly distracting because the
pull the eye away from the information.

One of the problems with Web designers is that most of them are either
re-tread graphic designer or (worse) video people, or they were
trained by graphic and video designers. Even after all this time a lot
of them still don't have their heads around the fact that the Web is a
different medium with significantly different rules.

(Okay, I'll shut up now and go take my pill. But I feel much better.
Thanks.)

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.