On 31 Jan 2005 14:05:47 -0800, wrote:

Be wary of galvanized or cadmium plating in anything in your smoker.
Bad stuff for food contact,

Good advice, but:

Remember this is a smoker. Temp inside shouldn't go above 200 F

I'd sure make sure my shelves are cadimum free, but the stuff which
isn't in contact with the meat is less critical at those temperatures.

If OP is really concerned about possible contamination, I'd spray the
inside with high-temp paint and let it cure throughly before use.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.