Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:48:52 GMT, "Bernd" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Mine has the brakes after the reduction , bad idea . It would have
been much better right at the axle . I don't really have room to move
it now so planning on going over to power brakes and double up my
calipers hoping that solves the problem .

I was haveing trouble in deciding were to put the brakes. I figured if
it was after the reduction that the power transmitted through the
reduction that it would be hard to brake. So you think the brakes would
be better of if they were at the output of the tranny before the
reduction?

My .002 worth...

Brakes will need to be smaller if before the trannie or any reduction,
because they are stopping a much lower torque when the engine is
driving, and _with_ a higher advantage if you are "freewheeling" (as
much as this thing will ever freewheel G). But if the trannie or any
part of the drive train after the brakes should fail, you have no
brakes, and also no drive train.

You are right about the braking under power, except that in most cases
that I know of, skid steer stuff that is not hydrostatic drive also
requires that you disengage a clutch to the stopping side of the
tracks before you brake to turn anyway.