Glenna Rose

Default OT- HUMOR - Ordering pizza in 2008

writes:
My concern was not with
the community taking reasonable precautions to protect its citizens and
its
corporate self. I feel that what information was sought was far beyond
anything necessary to determine my qualifications. In fact, I have been
asked to grant virtually unrestricted access to personal information,
much
of it completely irrevelant to the job. I was also asked to waive my
rights
seek redress if the information was mishandled. I doubt that the form is
"typical." If it is, we're just that much closer to a police state.

Unfortunately, Bob, it is much too common. My own son was handed such a
form to work for a temporary agency that contracts with a major employer
in our area. Those "temporary" contracts lasted 23 months, and he had
worked for them before, had just had his "rest" of 60 days before starting
the new contract. That release of liability (in 1997) gave them immunity
from literally anything they might say about him or his work, regardless
of whether it had any factual basis, or any basis for that matter. My
first question was why did he need to sign anything; he had been employed
by them for nearly two years just 7 weeks before. A criminal check for
everyone I can see, but not the invasion of bank records, tax returns,
interviews with individuals, etc.

People are not aware of the extent of this because most do *not* fully
read what they are signing, and, often when they do read it, do not
comprehend what it says and can mean.

BTW, congrats on reading *and* understanding!

Glenna