Dave Hinz

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:09:15 -0600, Tom M wrote:
Was wondering if any of you guys own a Makita Ls1214 12" dual slide
compound miter saw . I found a brand new one for around $300.00. I am
thinking maybe I should get it.. The price sounds great..It sure would
come in handy cutting 12 " shelves, crown,trim and more . It looks
pretty heavy, maybe to heavy to load and unload on the job site . In the
shop I think it would be real good tool to have. What do you guys think
of this Makita??

I have a Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw. It's on it's
second base; the pivot pin wears into the hole cast into the aluminum
base, making the pivot hole oblong and sloppy. Impossible to make
clean cuts when the point around which everything is supposed to
reference, is moving.

Turn it upside down; if there's not a bushing or bearing around that
pin, don't buy it. I'm going to spend some quality time with the
milling machine and make mine right, but you shouldn't have to
re-engineer something to get it to work well. If they haven't fixed
the design, buy a Dewalt or something.

Dave Hinz