George

"Stephen M" wrote in message
I now have a related question. The lathe is a Jet 1442.

Amoung other accessories,1442 comes with a live center and a rod for
"pushing out" morese tapered accessories. The rod popped the drice center
out of the headstock as expected. When I tried this on the tailstock, it
popped out the "pin" in the center of the live center, not the whole live
center assembly as I had expected.

So, how do you remove the live center from the tailstock of a jet 1442?

Put something slightly wider than the final gap between the back of the
center and the quill housing in there and crank it back.

I take it you have the Nova center? Don't use the rod that fits through the
taper for anything but that purpose, If it mushrooms because you're
knocking out the headstock taper, you will have to get another. Get a
larger rod from your local box store if your tailstack will accommodate it,
and use it at both ends. My antique Delta doesn't have a open bore in the
tailstock, so it's not an option.