Roy

SiC no, Clay graphite yes it does need to be seasoned, or more
properly heated before to rid it of any built up moisture. I always
place my crucibles be it SiC or CG or steel pipe on top of my furnace
for a bvit to heat them up and drive off any moisture......

Another thing you need to do is place a small piece of cardboard under
the crucible bottom (between furnace bottom or plinth block and
crucible. This will turn to carbon, and prevent a SiC type crucibnle
from sticking to the plinth blocks etc. Just a small piece of
cardboard from like a shoe box etc will work fine........and it does
not hurt the melt.

Nothing like having a SiC crucible stock to a plinth block.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:21:53 GMT, "TomNBanderaTx"
wrote:

===Ok, newbie casting question, I read somewhere that you need to season the
===crucibles before melting metals in them. Anyone know if this is fact or
===fiction? Thanks in advace. T
===

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS