Travis Jordan

John A. Weeks III wrote:
wrote:

I made the mistake of buying a new duplex just 30 feet away from a
road where vehicles routinely pass by at 40+ mph every few minutes.
I did check the noise level before buying the house but my test
case only consisted of one car passing by at 25 mph. Plus the AC
was on which significantly damped out the sound ;-(

I lived a number of years in a house that 72 feet from US-51
freeway, which may soon be Interstate 39.

I've noticed a number of new homes being built here immediately adjacent
to an interstate highway. Not by the exit, mind you, but in between two
exits and RIGHT UP against the highway. So close that you can see the
expressions on the kid's faces as they jump in their pool.

These are nice homes - in a typical residential development they might
cost $250K or so. Why do people build right up against the highway when
there is so much other land available? Are land values on the highway
so much lower than they are 'inland', or is it some kind of fascination
with the traffic or highway itself?