Mike

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:23:46 GMT, "Ron P"
wrote:

I would like to build a bookshelf in our family room and I am being
encouraged to begin with unfinished 30" base cabinets on the bottom, then
1x12's or 1x16" for the shelving units going up to the ceiling. The space
is a 14' wall with 9' ceilings. Something like this unit here --

Do you have access to a table saw?
When you say 30" base cabinets do you mean 30" wide or 30" tall?
1x12 or 1x16 will be enough to handle the bookcase sides and you
might consider building it with a 1/4" plywood back. This will
stabilize the cabinet and keep it square and if you can't rabbet the
sides to hide the 1/4" you could cover the exposed end(s) with a small
molding like cove or something similar. The back would also allow
you to make your shelving adjustable by either drilling the sides for
clips or mounting shelf standards on the sides.
It looks like the picture you have shows a carcass made of plywood
with solid wood stiles and rails. That's how I would recommend you
build it assuming you have access to a table saw so that you can rip
the plywood. For the stiles and rails, check with your local lumber
yard and see what sizes of s4s material they carry. Depending on the
species you are using you can probably get sizes that will work
without ripping and jointing. If not, you may be able to get the yard
to rip and joint the material for you for a small fee.
I certainly think it's something you can do without a whole lot of
experience.

Mike O.