Nicky

Way cool post!

Mastering Woodworking is a journey not some destination that we reach. The
standard is some metric that you determine, so set a bar at the level you
are comfortable with.

I've done pieces in my home that I have taken pleasure in burning (years
later.) This is a milestone for me because I've learned with each piece I've
built.

I've done pieces for others (friends only) that I wish I could get back.
This is a milestone because I've learned that others asked me to build
something for them, and many items are being displayed in their homes. Seems
that my standards have gotten higher along the way, forcing me to get
better.

I've built pieces for sale. 2 milestones here, "this guy wants me to make 60
chairs for his new restaurant, and will pay me money for doing it," and
"I've never made a chair." Good outcome for me.

I want to stay focused on new stuff, with this comes new methods, new joints
and best of all, new tools.

Also, for some of y'all, there's got to be a point at which you don't
reach many more real milestones. The learning curve has pretty well
flattened out. I mean, is there ever a point at which woodworking
becomes purely rote execution, or is there _always_ a challenge in it?
For all the work I did on two end tables (and two accent tables last
weekend), I figure I've got small tables down cold. At least, small
tables with 2x2 legs and 4" aprons and dowel joints.

So what is the standard by which we measure our growth? First project?
First dovetail? First commission? First cabinet? Or maybe Last
cabinet, Mr. Watson?
Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, and was curious.

-Phil Crow