Harold Vordos

"Scott Black" sblackatprogression.net wrote in message
I had the cross slide and compound on my logan lathe ground but there is
some resistance. I was thinking of lapping the slides to reduce the
friction. What sort of lapping compound should I use? I have heard of oil
stone powder but don't know where to get it. Any ideas?

thanks

sb

Pay strict attention to what Jim said! Don't use lapping compound on your
lathe regardless of what you discover is the problem. Remember, cast iron,
because it's soft and is relatively porous, becomes highly charged with
abrasive and will be difficult to clean when you think you've lapped enough.
That's why the scrape cast iron instead of lap it. You'd end up with as
much damage as you had before grinding if you couldn't eliminate the
abrasive, and that could prove quite challenging.

Harold