John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
wrote:

I made the mistake of buying a new duplex just 30 feet away from a road
where vehicles routinely pass by at 40+ mph every few minutes. I did
check the noise level before buying the house but my test case only
consisted of one car passing by at 25 mph. Plus the AC was on which
significantly damped out the sound ;-(

I lived a number of years in a house that 72 feet from US-51
freeway, which may soon be Interstate 39. The traffic noise
didn't bother me as much as the headlights. My dad actually
liked to listen to the trucks at night as they had to gear
down several times to make a hill north of town.

My first trip to college, my dorm was facing a busy street.
I never was able to sleep due to the noise, especially
cop cars and fire trucks. I had to move out and go to plan B.

My current home is also less than a stone's throw from I-35E.
I am lucky in that there is a dirt birm, and another row
of townhouses between myself and the highway. The roadway
is grooved concrete, so some vehicles really make a lot of
noise. If I had the windows open, it would drive me nuts.
I keep all the windows closed, and I run the furnace fan.
That nearly drowns it all out. I also have heavy cellular
window shades on all the windows. That also helps.

Anything more would be useless since no amount of treatment is
going to block out the jet airliners. I live just far enough
from the airport that the planes drop their gear over my
neighborhood. Airplanes on approach are nearly silent,
until you hear a big whump, followed by a whooosh as the
gear drops, then hits the air in the slip stream.

I agree, fart cars (those imports with the loud mufflers
that make farting noises), boom-boom cars (you know, the ones
with concert level sound systems for deaf people, or people
who will soon have hearing damage), and open pipe motorcycles
can really reduce your quality of life if you have to listen
to them, or have them ruin your sleep.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications