George E. Cawthon

Doug Miller wrote:

This is false too, by the way. A 0.740 bar *obviously* fits into a 0.750 slot,
and as long as it's straight it can be used to make straight cuts, by keeping
it in firm contact with one side of the slot throughout the cut. It makes no
difference that it's undersized.

Yeah, you caught me, I should have said a "tight" fit. I
think most woodworkers would assume that tightness is
include in the idea of "fit.:" No one would say a board fit
in a rabbet if the rabbet was 1/8" greater than the
thickness of the board.

Do you really mean to suggest that straightness is irrelevant to proper fit?

Of course. If you have a groove in an arc and a piece of
metal in an arc fits the groove, what does straightness have
to do with the fit?

You can have a piece of metal crooked as hell, maybe a
little bend every 1/4-1/2 inch and it can still fit in a
groove with no discernable slop. Fit and straight are simply
two independent elements.

Ooooooh, are you going to killfile me? I'm trembling. Tell you what: let's KF
each other. Then I won't have to read your nonsense, and you can post nonsense
to your heart's content without having to worry about seeing me expose it for
what it is.

I don't kill file anyone.

As I have pointed out several times, a tight fit does not necessarily mean a
good fit. By simply "whacking it until it fits" you have *no* assurance that
the bar is straight, and thus *no* assurance of getting straight cuts.
Particularly if one is using your bizarre definition of "fits".

Huh? did you just switch sides?

It's about trolls.

And your point would be...? If you want me to add you to the list, George,
just come out and say so.

Ok, you need help to understand, it's about trolls. Who is
the troll, maybe you?

--
Regards,