william_b_noble

there is a device you can buy that is called "sauce" - you can buy it at
some retail stores - a bunch of LEDs and a microcontroller that put out
varying color light.

see here for a bunch of similar ideas http://colorkinetics.com/products/pro/
wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:56:55 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:22 -0600, the renowned
wrote:

replace a 25 0r 40 watt incandescent bulb.?

You may need a bunch of them. But they could change colors as well as
just brightness. Using RGB LEDs, you could get a large number of
effects. Or just white. The color temperature of white LEDs tends to
be higher than that of even halogen incandescents.

An interesting idea. She did not even know what an LED was when I
suggested them. I think she'll stay with white at this point, just to
keep her confusion down, but it would increase the possibilities for
future projects.

Are they dimable?

Sure.

How much extra would be involved in the control circuitry to drive the
LEDs?

Maybe less, they'd need a low voltage supply (like a LV Halogen) and
some control circuitry. Depends on what this "random" thing is all
about, but it's not difficult to get that kind of effect with LEDs.

I think she just wants to have about 50% lit at any one time, each
randomly selected piece would go from off to fully lit to off over a
period of 15 to 20 seconds.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks