Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Lurch wrote:
No. The point in servicing the system is so that when someone breaks
in the alarm doesn't just sit in a knackered lump. Servicing also
helps to prevent the alarm from going off at daft 'o' clock in the
morning on a regular basis. If you're going to fit an alarm it needs
servicing, in the same way that your car needs servicing otherwise it
just doesn't work after a while.

I'd be interested to know what need servicing on an alarm in the same way
as on a car? Or do you mean an inspection and check on functionality?

Well, sensitivity of detectors does change with time (only
reduces in my experience). Whilst that might not come as a
surprise with things like PIR's, it's also true of reed switches,
which can start sticking if the reed starts picking up some
permanent magnetism (reversing the permanent magnet fixes that).

If you also use the same sensors for home automation purposes,
such as occupancy sensors for lights, you might notice a change
in behaviour. However, most alarm systems are not part of a
fully integrated home automation system, so most alarm users
won't notice if their sensors start changing in behaviour, or
even stop working completely.

Also see my other posting on what should be checked in a service.

--
Andrew Gabriel