andrewpreece

Default wood colour on dado wallpaper

"Glenn" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
I have bought a dado wallpaper. It is 1mtr. high and comes in 5mtr
rolls. This paper gives a wood panel effect, but is an expensive
analglypta. (I hope I spelt that right)
I want to make this look like real wood. Do I paint it with a shade of
brown paint, and if so which type? Or do I use a wood stain, wood dye?
I am at a loss. Please have anyone done this and can they let me know
if they were successful?

Thanks in advance.
Glenn

Some thoughts:-

I painted an area with a dark brown gloss paint called 'chestnut' - no way
did
it look like wood, more like chocolate, so I'd be wary of using brown paint
and achieving a convincing effect. A better bet would be either varnish or
one of the advanced woodstains, like Sadolin Advanced Woodstain.

I have seen 'wood grain' paint in the DIY stores, which gives a reasonable
imitation of real wood. I've seen it used on radiators, it's quite
convincing
IMO, but it probably needs to be painted onto a reasonably smooth surface.

I have also seen small cylindrical paint rollers with concentric circular
patterns
on them. By a mixture of rolling and dragging them over paint a wood effect
can be achieved. Once again I reckon a smooth surface is necessary.

As for wood dye ( the thin penetrating stuff ), this is worth a try, though
the
only way to see ( like all the other methods I've mentioned ) is to give it
a go
on some scrap anaglypta. You could try a mix of a wood dye base colour,
then go over it with a coloured wood wax to give it some shine and depth.
I'm not sure if your anaglypta has a wood grain pattern on it, as if it
doesn't
that could give a poor effect.

Let us know if anything works particularly well!

Andy.