Tom

On 29 Jan 2005 16:06:29 -0800, "
wrote:

I am would like to find out the approximate pressure of my Ford 7.3 IDI
F250 injection pump . I suspect in is going bad but I want to confirm
it before replacing it . Can I get a 0-3000 psi guage and plumb it up
( with the pessure appropriate fittings and metal line ) to one of the
the injector pump ports and crank it for a couple of seconds ( cold, no
glow plugs ) or would I be better off installing it in a Tee and
connect the injector ( basically running it parallel) . As I presume
that it takes about 1800 psi to run the injector , the pump should be
running a minimum 2,000 psi hot or cold . =thanks

Having had three diesel engines, I would recommend taking it to a
diesel shop (e.g., Seattle Injector, in Seattle) for testing. I really
think that test you (or I) would do would be inconclusive or darnright
wrong. Injection pumps don't often go bad. Air in the lines is bad.

Tom