R. O'Brian

"David Pidwerbecki" wrote in message
Grant,

Thanks for the replies.

This is good to know. There is this guy who has a pre 85 Delta

(supposedly
heavier castings, etc.) and he said that it was the same one sold for

metal
working, except for different sheaves. Do you know anything of this?

Dave

I have a Delta wood/metal Mod. 28-303 which appears to have the same specs.
as Delta's current model 28-348 .
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4925

I bought it in new '97. It cuts 3/4" thick 6061 aluminum at 3000 fpm like
hardwood. I run it at 115 or 85 fpm(can't remember which) for ferrous
metals and it has plenty of power to cut 1" steel plate, albeit slowly. My
standard blade is a 1/4", 14 tpi, bi-metal which I buy in 100' coils. That
blade is usable for just about everything except re-sawing thick wood. I
have been happy with it as a general purpose saw cutting a wide variety of
materials, mostly metal. The only change I would make is to improve the
gear shift mechanism to make it easier to operate. Otherwise, no
complaints.

Randy