Robin S.

"Scott Black" sblackatprogression.net wrote in message
I had the cross slide and compound on my logan lathe ground but there is
some resistance. I was thinking of lapping the slides to reduce the
friction. What sort of lapping compound should I use? I have heard of oil
stone powder but don't know where to get it. Any ideas?

At work we use a lapping compound made by Loctite, but I just tried to look
it up on their website and it's a bumbling giant. Perhaps an asertive e-mail
would get some information....

Anyway, the compound uses silicon carbide abrasive in some type of grease.
We use it to lap out holes in hardened tool steel. It works well on soft
steels as well.

But are you sure you're correctly addressing your issue? What kind of
resistance are you feeling? I've heard of surfaces being too *good* after
grinding which causes too much surface contact, and too much resistance. I
would assume this would just make for a very *tight* motion. Is this what
you're experiencing? If so, lapping may make the situation worse...

Regards,

Robin