David Pidwerbecki

Thanks for the comments.

Is the general consensus that the wood working saws being sold by Jet, HF,
etc. really are not good enough for metal, even when changing out the sheave
for the proper speed?

I live in the sticks and the stuff for sale in the newspaper is sold by the
time I get the phone call out, and most of the items are about 2 hours from
my house.

Please let me know and thanks.

Dave

"David Pidwerbecki" wrote in message
I've been looking for a 14" floor model bandsaw for my hobby metal working
shop. Almost all that I've found look near identicle. The HF model is
sold as being lighter in weight, however it has a 4 speed sheave relative
to the single speed Jet bandsaw. I really don't need a super heavy duty
band saw - mostly for cutting up to 1/4" steel (max) for brackets, etc.

The HF band saw can go down to 600 fpm blade speed. Is this slow enough
for metal?

Is there any advantages or reason to put out the extra $250 for the Jet
bandsaw?

Does anyone have personal experience with either of these saws and a
recommendation?

Please reply and thanks,

Dave