Don Pearce

Default Finally, the 9 dB reduction!

On 30 Jan 2005 18:49:29 GMT, Ignoramus24281
wrote:

A while ago I posted some questions on soundproofing a generator. For
details of the generator, see

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/

particularly, check out the "Enclosure" link.

Unshielded, the genset produces 85 dB at 10 feet.

I finally have satisfactory results. The enclosure itself reduces
noise by 5 dB. If I put another sheet of plywood in the direction that
I need to block the most (my neighbors), the noise goes down to 76 dB,
giving the total of 9 dB reduction in the needed direction.

The other directions are less important because the house and the deck
and the shed are going to shield/scatter most of the noise. (see the
link on the above mentioned page to see where the genset will go).

I am going to call it a success and stop the soundproofing work. Maybe
I will add some sound dampener substance to the engine panels.

On a related note, I sealed the top with epoxy, and will probably use
"deck treatment" on the rest. This enclosure will be normally covered
by a heavy duty tarp, when not in use.

Thanks to all!

Where are the MP3s of the sound before an after?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com