rbell

Doug,
Following is the link to the company:
http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/u...olution180.htm.
Thanks for the input. I originally got the idea off an AWS forum.
Everything I read and hear about the saw sounds good. The 9" saw will cut up
to 1/2", I got it for a little over kill. I know that it is not perfect but
it
is the best thing I have going right now. I ordered it from a welding
supplier in Dallas and he told me his customers use these saws on site for a
lot of serious applications. I will certainly head you advice about the
lubricant.

Thank You Again
Rick

wrote in message
ups.com...
I looked around and while I didn't see a pic of a 9 inch Evolution cold
saw I did see some 7 inch Evolution metal circular saws, somewhat like
my grandfather's Craftsman worm gear circular saw.

A magnetic guide on the steel will help keep your cut true, or
something can be clamped to the steel to provide even firmer support to
the edge of the saw's base plate.

The 1/4 wall thickness of the tubing is within the capacity of the 7
inch model. So you are OK there.

Was your saw new? Do you have an instruction book?

One thing that I noticed fooling around with a Sears counter-rotating
saw was that they include solid lubricant sticks. I can't say enough
about the advantages of solid lube for cutting metal with a saw.

Ideally, a helper will apply a stick to the blade while you make the
cut. You should never have two operators on one tool, but it is OK to
have one person adding lube. Failing that, it helps a lot to lube
frequently, and there are also ways to apply the lube to the work so
the blade continues to pick up the lube.

If you are cutting off short pieces, the lube can go inside the work,
and as the blade move forward it gets a nice bite of lube and metal on
each tooth. This really eases sawing.

I assume the teeth on your saw come at the work from underneath? Then a
helper with a lube stick would really keep it moving. Failing that,
just apply frequently.

Once, I used a China pencil (grease pencil) on aluminum for a jeweler's
saw blade. The waxy composition worked well as a lube, and as the blade
moved forward, it picked up fresh lube.
Yours,

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research