Nick Atty

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:27:10 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The actual shell costs of a house are surprisingly small. You can erect
a warehouse at very low cost. Its 'homeifying' it that takes the money.
I saw 'makeover' costs for london flats estimated at £100-150 a square.
In the FT. That's to strip out and refit a space totally.

Yeah I know what you mean - we had upstairs gutted and extended into the
loft space over a single story extension, and downstairs drastically
altered (walls out, staircase moved, that sort of thing).

It doesn't come in as much cheaper than a new build, as you end up
having to pay for demolition and skips as well. Plus, of course, you
have to pay the VAT.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)