The Natural Philosopher

simon beer wrote:

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

simon beer wrote:

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled
masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's

how

long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of

say

your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not

timber

framed and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or

point

to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing

it

yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself.
many thanks

Go for £75 a sq ft for a bare shell with basic fitings, and £100-£150 a
square foot for all fitted out to your state with garden and drive and
everything done the way YOU want it.

When working out the square ft are we talking the ground floor area i.e. the
footprint of the house.

Nope. Total. All gflors.

By far and away the greatest costs are applying finishes and fitting
doors, windows, electrical sockets and the like. These scale by
habitable area.

More than two floors does get a buit cheaper, as you only have one set
of foundsations and drains, and one roof...normally tehse are of
comparable cost associated e.g. with each floor.

Bunglaows are therefore slightly more expensive, except you gain useable
space by dint of lack of staircases. These take up an enormous amount of
space in a small house.

You tend to have more bathrooms in bigger houses as well - so those sale
by area too.

The actual shell costs of a house are surprisingly small. You can erect
a warehouse at very low cost. Its 'homeifying' it that takes the money.
I saw 'makeover' costs for london flats estimated at £100-150 a square.
In the FT. That's to strip out and refit a space totally.

The reason te sheds do so well is precisel becaise te avreage first time
buuyer on a 2 bed semi on a new estate, immdeiately goes out and spends
50 grand over the first year or two doing the garden, the decking, the
drive, relacing all the lights, curtains, installing more cupboards,
carpets etc etc and painting it all in suitable Carol Smiley ish colours..