The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message

I recently moved on to a brand-new estate which has a privately run
sewage treatment plant, completely separate from the water company for
this area. There was supposed to be a management company set up to run
this plant, but it appears to be going pear-shaped, with volunteers
pulling out, a mounting debt, and certain individuals complaining to
the point of having their solicitor write a letter.

Does anyone know what these small estate-based sewage treament plants
typically cost to run? I have been told the plant here needs emptying
three times a year. The development contains approximately 40
dwellings, and all residents pay a proportionate amount.

In another part of the village, houses are also connected to a similar
local sewage treatment plant, yet that one is entirely run by the
water company, as if one were on mains sewerage and simply paid the
water and sewage bill. Perhaps it would be best if 'our' proposed
management company simply transferred (sold?) the plant and the
responsibility for running it to the water company?

Not sure if this will help. I have an Entec plant with a capacity for

ten

people.
An annual service costs about UKP150 and emptying twice a year about
UKP60. The cost to install a new one in place of the existing one would

be

about UKP5000. The plant serves just my house.

Is that the type with rotating discs which the bacteria colonise as they
digest the various biological materials in the tank?
AIUI they consume the digestible part of the liquor eventually leaving a
clear liquid outfall which is supposed to be acceptable for discharge into
the ground drainage. How does this differ from a traditional septic tank
where moving parts are not required?

Because in many areas traditional septic tanks are not allowed for new
installations. For some reason the moving part version you describe is
preferred, though I can't see why.

Becaus it is more reliable in complete breakdown of organic waste - the
bacteria get to finish the job with the help of a bit of oxygen.

From experience, this is a true statement. The outflow is not smelly,
and runs very clear indeed.

No dount its loaded with nitrpgen and other basic chemicals, but by teh
time its soaked away its pretty much clean water than get into teh
watercourses.