J. Clarke

Glenna Rose wrote:

lid writes:
Bob Schmall wrote:
And to top it off, they want me to sign away ANY rights I may have to
liability or damages of ANY kind.

Which is standard for government agencies employing part time
workers--some
kid spills his coffee on you you might shrug it off, but somebody else
will
sue _them_ for running their coffee machines too hot or creating a hostile
work environment or some such instead of just accepting that **** happens
or going after the student for malicious clumsiness or whatever.

It might very well be that that signing away of any rights regarding
liability or damages of any kind also includes anything they might say to
someone else/another agency, be it based in fact or fiction. That's a
dangerous thing to do as it can ultimately destroy you or your ability to
earn a reasonable living.

So let's, see, how many times has a government agency lied about someone and
then claimed that they had waived their right to sue for libel or slander?

If we are concerned about identity theft and
the problems getting it all "fixed," we really need to worry about this
type of thing as there is no way of fixing it as you've signed away all of
your rights to fix it as it would entail contradicting their careless
comments to others which you've said, by signing the document, that you
acknowledge you have no right to do.

People that sign this type of document without concern are often the same
people who don't bother to read the printed documents they sign when
renting cars, obtaining credit cards, buying houses, leasing property,
etc., and often get themselves into trouble. The final story is the judge
looks at the signed document, usually the full page of fine print on the
back which you signed that you read under the larger print on the front,
and says you signed it and finds for the other guy.

It's better to be cautious than careless when signing away any rights.
There's a big difference between them investigating you as a potential
employee and them passing on information to whomever they wish with no
liability for what they say.

And, yes, I do base these comments on real life experience. During the
course of my working years, I've had first-hand contact with many who have
had horror stories to tell.

So tell us a "horror story" in which someone signed a typical
municipal-government waiver of liability and then the municipal government
lied about them to a third party and defended itself using the waiver of
liability.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)