George

"Bob Beckwith" wrote in message
I purchased a piece of Granadillo (2x6x 18 long) about 6 months ago.
It was sold as a piece of kiln dried wood and excellent for turning.
I have a jet Mini so I cut the slab int three 6 inch long pieces and
put it up on the shelf. I recently decided to use the wood to turn a
small shallow bowl. I found all thee pieces with a number of checks
in them and basically useless for anything but firewood. As I am new
to wood turning and the use of this type of wood I am wondering if I
would be wrong in asking the place I purchased the wood to give a
refund or replace the wood with something of equal value. I am not
sure If I didn't handle the wood properly or should I not expect any
compensation. Any comments will be greatly appreciated as I am not
sure where to go with this.

Where it came from and where it is differed too much in humidity. You may
also have helped it by opening up new end grain to promote checking. Get a
bit of why under your belt at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm , where
chapters two and three will certainly give you insight into the problem.

Some woods come from such bad neighborhoods that they never amount to much.