Josey

Default Green ooze from house wiring

"roger" wrote in message
In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , roger
writes
A friend asked me to look at his house wiring because green stuff was
oozing out of L & N at most of the 13A sockets in the house.
He wasn't kidding - it's like Lyles Golden Syrup, but bright green
instead of golden.
It is *not* corroding the copper wires at all, but the brass pins of 13A
plugs are blackened.
The wiring and house are about 25 years old, dry and in vg condition,
standard 7/029 T&E.
The effect was first noticed about 5 years ago.
Earth wires are clean, except where some goo has dripped on them.
Insulation is fine - over 100M on the circuit I tested.
Stripping back a bit of neutral insulation, the goo appears to be in the
strands.

Any ideas?

Is it possible to see some detailed online piccys of that?. IIRC wasn't
there a thread on this some while ago with PVC insulation melting with
no apparent heat cause?..

Sorry no pics - not much to photo really except shiny copper with
translucent green goo.
Googled it to death b4 posting - nothing.
Insulation is fine electrically and mechanically.

I think I foudn it using google: Searching the web for "green goo" and
wiring found this on the web (2nd hit):

What is Green Slime or Goo? And do I need to re-wire circuits with Green
Slime coming out of the wires?

Also known as "Green Slime", this phenomenon is characterised by the
appearance of a sticky green exudate leaking out of PVC-insulated wiring at
locations such as switches, hot points and light fittings. The green goo
problem is predominantly associated with older (25+ years) TPS-type cables
operating in a warm environment. The exudate comprises a plasticiser that
has migrated out of the PVC insulation, coloured due to reaction with the
copper conductor.

Due to its stickiness and unsightly colour, the goo has a high nuisance
value, however it poses no significant health hazard. It may be cleaned from
surfaces by wiping with a rag soaked in a petroleum- or alcohol-based
solvent (such as meths).

The long-term consequence of the exudate is that it represents a
de-plasticising of the insulation, meaning that as the process continues the
PVC will eventually become brittle, and crack.

Coutesy of http://www.olex.co.nz/faq_general.php

Jc.