Bob Beckwith

Default Wood question

I purchased a piece of Granadillo (2x6x 18 long) about 6 months ago.
It was sold as a piece of kiln dried wood and excellent for turning.
I have a jet Mini so I cut the slab int three 6 inch long pieces and
put it up on the shelf. I recently decided to use the wood to turn a
small shallow bowl. I found all thee pieces with a number of checks
in them and basically useless for anything but firewood. As I am new
to wood turning and the use of this type of wood I am wondering if I
would be wrong in asking the place I purchased the wood to give a
refund or replace the wood with something of equal value. I am not
sure If I didn't handle the wood properly or should I not expect any
compensation. Any comments will be greatly appreciated as I am not
sure where to go with this.