Ned Simmons

In article 77QKd.112415$w62.107806@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, says...

"mike cordless" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:38:59 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

Go here
www.emerson-ept.com, you must register to git in da gate but
might be some good info. I didn't register so don't know. Dese boys
own morse chain, and browning gear and prolly have lots of info.
Looking at what yer building I'd use 80 chain. Prolly over built.
Maybe git by wit 60. I've changed enough chain to know bigger is
better. If you have the space. If you break something it won't be the
chain, prolly the key.

Thanks Mike.

Another way of looking at the chain size is to consider
that the tension in the final chain will be approximately

max traction X (diameter of the track drivers / diameter of
the final sprocket)

I'd expect the maximum traction to be something on the
order of the weight of the vehicle.

The chain manufacturers publish tables for max chain
tension for slow speed drives, which is approximately 1/4
of tensile strength. If you go thru the standard selection
procedure you'll end up with a massive chain that's
suitable for 24/7 use--the slow speed ratings are probably
a better fit for your use. Here's Dodge's version...

www.dodge-pt.com/pdf/catalog/ pt_components/sproc_sel.pdf

Tsubaki gives actual tensile (breaking) strength in their
catalog, and a Google search may turn up their catalog
online.

Ned Simmons