Lurch

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:06:01 +0000, Mark strung
together this:

I'm sure you're right about this, but I'll settle for a "satisfactory"
system.

Who said anything about "satisfactory"?

I was willing to have an alarm company install a system for me
but I've been quoted £550 for a panel, 3 PIRs and a door switch, using
my existing wiring.

To be fair, that's a bit on the high side. You want to get three
quotes before deciding anything.
Post your location somewhere in here,
http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community, if you still want a
professionally installed system, at a sensible price.

I think I'll be struggling to spend £150 on these
parts even if I buy the 'top end' components.

I don't think so, a top end panel will eat that £150 in one go.

I don't need a serviced
system for the paltry £2 a month discount my insurance company will
give me. This is the whole point of DIY isn't it?

No. The point in servicing the system is so that when someone breaks
in the alarm doesn't just sit in a knackered lump. Servicing also
helps to prevent the alarm from going off at daft 'o' clock in the
morning on a regular basis. If you're going to fit an alarm it needs
servicing, in the same way that your car needs servicing otherwise it
just doesn't work after a while.

And contrary to popular belief it takes time to service an alarm, some
people refer to just typing a magic number in the panel, some
rougharse would do this, sit in the car for a bit then get you to sign
the service sheet. If it's done properly the entire system is
physically checked and cables are tested, as is the functionality of
the system. This is all noted down in your service record, which will
be provided by a reputable installer.

You can then use this to gain a discount on your house insurance,
providing the installer is accredited with some sort approvals from
the SSAIB\NSI. Insurance companies generally won't discount a DIY
installed system.

Generally, your house insurance discount is roughly equal to a yearly
service visit so by DIY'ing it you're only saving a bit of money now,
but you get what you pay for. A bit more spent on a system installed
by someone reputable will get you a better system.

So Lurch, you sound like you know your way around an alarm system, how
about some tips -)

It took me years to learn what I have, I can't give it all out here.
--

SJW