Jeff Wisnia

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Not only at Sears, common occurence everywhere.
If anyone dares, name a place where there is true customer
service. Every time I am at store, bank or whatever,
feels like I am there to serve them, Sigh!
Tony

Why do you think what a farmer brings his cows to a bull for is called
"service"?

IMO this whole sloppy service thing we experience in almost every corner
of our lives stems mainly from our own selfish desires to get as much as
possible out of every dollar we spend. That's what got "self service"
started back when I was a kid; Fewer store employees equaled lower costs
and thus lower prices.

We have also narrowed the dichotomy between the "haves" and the "have
nots" (Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing.) which makes for
a kot fewer store employees willing to give their enthusiastic all for
the peon wages they get paid relative to the incomes of most of the
customers.

I believe the same thing holds true for the "behind the scenes" folks
who often appear to be the ones who screw simple things up the worst.
The economics of trying to beat the competition with lower prices again
results in too few employees for each one to be able to take the time
required to look into every situation thoroughly enough to get it done
right the first time.

The addage "you get what you pay for" still applies, and the few times
in my life I've been able to overcome my basic niggardliness enough to
stay at a Ritz hotel or purchase a gift at Shreve Crump and Lowe, I came
away with the feeling that service still does exist for those able (and
willing) to pay for it. The rest of the time, I shop at Sears and its
brethren and follow Confucious' advice to the effect that "If a screwing
is inevitable, try and lie back and enjoy it."

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia