Martin H. Eastburn

Robin S. wrote:

"rbell" wrote in message

I have a one time job of making about 100 cuts in some 1/4" wall 4 " square
tubing and some W8X15"s. Any suggestions on tools. I have sort of ruled
out 14" chop saws. I am thinking of buying a horizontal bandsaw. Any
suggestions on what equipment to use.

We need more info to give you a really good suggestion.

Why have you ruled out an abrasive chop saw? Too much heat, noise, dust,
etc.? If it was me and I had the choice, I would choose an abrasive chop
saw. They're fast and you get very little burr.

You can also get a dry cut saw with a carbide-tipped blade. The initial cost
is fairly significant (maybe $500) but one blade would probably last your
run.

A cold saw would be ideal but they're lots of money. A new blade will just
drop through your material.

A bandsaw would certainly work, but there is virtually no automation
available at a reasonable cost and they are pretty slow. Cut to cut times
could be something like 2-5min and the parts would have burrs and sharp
edges.

There are automated saws (bandsaws, cold cut saws, etc.) made for this type
of work. Frequently these machines will deburr the part as well. I'm not
sure if you're making money on this deal, but farming it out may be a good
idea.

So, do you have a solution already, or can you provide us with more info?

Regards,

Robin

Gosh - just think - stack all and clamp.
Then lay it down on the big slab saw for massive stones - the 1 mile long wire saw blades !
Saw all at once. :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn