raden

In message , John
writes

"Newshound" wrote in message
Seconded.

If you do hear any buzzing or signs of insect activity, don't panic. It
will be small black flies which have hatched out of dead grubs. (I took
one out of a mothballed horsebox last year).

If you have do deal with a "live" one in the season because it is
somewhere *very* inconvenient, the aerosol sprays from hardware shops
(less than a fiver) are easy to use and not scary. They spray a jet of
foam containing insecticide about 10 feet or so, you block up the opening
and then cover the rest of the nest and leave them to die.

Keep sources of ignition away until all the fluid has evaporated and
dissipated but ordinary red diesel fuel squirted from a trigger spray with
the nozzle set to jet is extremely effective and cheap if you need to evict
wasps and the nest. If they arent causing immediate nuisance wait until cold
weather and scrape the dormant nest and any contents off the rafter into a
poly bag and dispose.
I exterminated a nest using the above technique when the waps had built in
the roof of a shed belonging to a friend who suffered extreme reaction to
wasp stings. She even used to carry self administerable shots to use if she
had the misfortune to suffer a sting or bite hence the continued presence of
the wasps could not reasonably be tolerated

From my experience from a couple of years ago, when I had to replace
some split lead in a valley

the best stuff is Nippon powder

--