Charlie Self

Groggy asks:

Funny thing this wreck of ours. I'm reading a post, as I read most of
the regulars, then it occurs to me that I spend time on the wreck as I
want to learn, and not waste my time on mindless soapies following the
lives of virtual existences.

Then I recall the great house/shop fire, major tool purchases, on-line
flame fests, the death of valued regulars, shop dogs, births and
marriages and wonder "what *is* the difference"?

I suppose the fact that these 'virtual existences' are woven with our
specific interests yet combined with knowledge, amusement, sometimes
drama, and a modicum of interaction are the keys. But it is a
powerful mix to keep people coming back year after year. Some of the
grumpy old men have been trapped here for more than a decade.

So, what say you, what is the attraction for yourself?

Well, my chin whiskers are caught in my keyboard, for a start. Part of the
reason I'm grumpy. The rest of the reason is I'm old.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000