Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I have a 375 sqare feet living room that has an angle in one corner due to
a fireplace (there is tile in front of the fireplace that would need to be
left in place). One one side of the room is a stairwell.

I would first need to rip out the carpet of course and then just reinforce
the nailing of any squeaky subflooring.

Better to use screws for this. Best to work from the underside, if open, to
shim spots if needed.

Then begin the laminate install (including the underlayment depending on
the brand of flooring I get).

I stopped by a flooring store today and asked a sales guy how long it
would take to install the flooring. I described the situation above, and
he said 3 to 6 hours! I seriously doubt it would be that quick.

I do also.

There
would be two people doing the install (myself and my brother). What I'm
hoping for is to be able to do it in one full weekend (starting Saturday
early morning and going until late Sunday evening at the latest). If I can
do it in that time frame then I will do it myself. I am pretty handy, and
my brother who will be doing it with me swears it shouldn't take more than
2 days but he's also the guy who told me we could finish my basement in 3
weekends and it took me almost 4 months of weekends (800sqft) so I'm
hesitant to jump right in : )

Two days sound easy enough. Do you have the right tools? Most important is
a saw with a carbide blade. Laminate is tough stuff to cut and will use up
a cheap blade, or make a good blade in need of sharpening. If you have
access to a miter saw, that makes it very easy. You can get one for as
little as $100.

You may be able to save some time by getting the old carpet up ahead and
work on the squeaks. Cut it with a utility knife and roll it up in small
sections.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/