Doug

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:37:13 -0500, Steven Fleckenstein
wrote:

In article et,
says...

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1106862352.4ff6c6d73e74beec21000ad94720fcba@t eranews...
Sorry, at $2500 the boiler never pays for itself -- at $3500 you LOSE
$100/year

I replaced my 1988 oil fired hot water system this year because the boiler
casting was leaking.

My Mom replaced her gas fired 1964 vintage hot water boiler because it was no
longer reliable. Repair parts were difficult to find, The "Flair" zone valves
always seized up, the expansion tank was water logged, the house was too cold
on the coldest days, and she was starting to have problems with the pilot
light. The furnace was replaced for around $2500 and she ended up saving $900
on her first years gas bill. The house is warm in the winter.
Yes.. the cost of natural gas is high in my area.

If your old furnace works well I would not replace it with a new one.

Steve

Well the expansion tank and the zone valves are not even part of the
boiler. They are easy and relatively cheap to replace - no reason to
replace the entire boiler.

Pilot light assemblies and gas control valves are easy to replace. The
control system can be changed entirely and even an "antique" boiler
can be modernized.

Her old gas bills must have been around $2400/year to achieve that
kind of savings - YIKES.
I'm assuming that the system went from 50% efficiency to 90%.

If she got the boiler replaced, the expansion tank changed and the
zone valves changed all for $2500, she got a real bargain.
Around here they "pros" would get about $4000 for that.

Doug