Joseph Meehan

DN B wrote:
Joe is correct. As for the waterheater...unless its a direct vent
unit, it wont have a fresh air duct coming to it for combustion ;
but, the closet is going to need combustion air for both the water
heater and furnace burners -- there should be an opening ( a grille
perhaps in the wall/ceiling of the closet) which will let air
transfer in as its being used for combustion of these appliances.
Until youre sure there is one..crack the door at least 2-3 inches.
It is national code that there must be a source for combustion air
intake otherwise, the burners will starve for air and 'could' start
to roll out of the furnace/water heater making an unsafe situation.
If in doubt, call the village inspector and register y our concern
about this, then, he will come out .

Thanks for catching me on that one. I should have considered the
possibility that they were located in an enclosed area of the garage. I was
assuming the garage would not be tight enough to provide air, but even that
could be wrong.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math