Charles Spitzer

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I have a house approximately 50 years old. The heating system is a hot
water system which heats water and pushes it through a series of registers
in each room. Unfortunately many of the registers (about two feet in
height
from floor to top) are located directly beneath windows.

In my bedroom I have heavy pleated window curtains that I draw closed at
night. Seems to me that the curtains look a bit puffy or inflated during
the heating season and it is almost like they are puffy because they
catch/trap the rising radiant heat from just below the bottom of the
curtain
(where the register is). I have this feeling that the heat is
rising/escaping up into/behind the curtains and right in front of the
[cold]
window glass instead of up/out into the room.

Is there anything I can buy at a home improvement store to tuck the bottom
of the curtains in towards the wall or perhaps to attach to the top of the
register to deflect the heat up/away from the register?
I tried holding back the curtains more towards the window/wall and I can
feel the heat now flowing in front of the curtains instead of behind them.

Thanks,
Walter

i've seen scoop sort of mechanisms that are attached to the register and can
redirect the heat. typically used if the register is under a couch. i would
bet that a local borg would have them. search for sku 253190 at
http://homedepot.com

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az