Mary Fisher

"Newshound" wrote in message
Seconded.

If you do hear any buzzing or signs of insect activity, don't panic. It
will be small black flies which have hatched out of dead grubs. (I took
one out of a mothballed horsebox last year).

If you have do deal with a "live" one in the season because it is
somewhere *very* inconvenient, the aerosol sprays from hardware shops
(less than a fiver) are easy to use and not scary. They spray a jet of
foam containing insecticide about 10 feet or so, you block up the opening
and then cover the rest of the nest and leave them to die.

But they can also have an effect on humans. I wouldn't use any of them
except in extreme circumstances. Mostly I do without my fee and persuade
householders to let the colony run its course. I don't like spreading
poisons of any kind.

Mary