Doug Miller

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:
I'm not arguing in favor or slop, I'm just suggesting that
we might be too focused on precision that is beyond that which the tools
we're using give on a good day, especially in light of the material we're
working with.

A point well taken... but it still seems to me that it's important to know
just what sort of tolerances we're dealing with, before recommending use of
off-the-shelf bar stock from Home Cheapo. Incra miter bars are machined to a
degree of precision that I'm sure we can all agree is more than sufficient for
woodworking. But how close is the home-center bar stock?

To take what is probably a more realistic example than the one I presented
previously, suppose that a nominal 3/4" bar measures 0.748" actual width. If
your miter slot is 0.750", that bar had better be _no_more_ than 0.002" out
from dead straight, across its entire length, or it's going to wedge in the
slot before it gets all the way through.

And, of course, if that nominal 3/4" off-the-shelf bar from the home center is
actually 0.751", it isn't going to fit at all, even if it's dead straight.

So... are the tolerances that good on the home-center bar stock? Personally, I
have my doubts, after having purchased 3/4" aluminum angle from HD that
turned out to be almost 0.020" out of straight over 24 inches. It's hard for
me to imagine that the bar stock is an order of magnitude better.

--
Regards,