Mike Marlow

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news

It is in fact "obvious" that this is not correct. Suppose the miter slot

is
0.750" wide, and the bar is 0.740" wide with a 0.009" bow in it. The bar

will
fit in the slot, and fit snugly at that -- as long as both ends of the bar

are
in the slot. At both the start and end of a cut, though, when only one end

of
the bar is in the slot, there will be considerable slop in the fit, and

hence
slop in the cut.

Well, there would be up to .009" variation in the cut. Surely suitable for
woodworking. Nothing that a light sanding or a very light pass with a plane
couldn't handle. I'm not arguing in favor or slop, I'm just suggesting that
we might be too focused on precision that is beyond that which the tools
we're using give on a good day, especially in light of the material we're
working with.
--

-Mike-