George

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

However, it's the mind, not the hand which is required here. The

statement
is true, it's just not the way you do things. Anything which makes the

belt
less than flat (even inadequate tension) can take the piece away at

worst,
ruin the edge at best if it is running toward you. Not to mention the

hot
sparks flaming your hands unnecessarily.

well that could be true but if the belt does not have enough tension your

going
to have a bad grind anyway. I have a hardened steel plate behind the belt

where
the blade hits. it stretches the belt tight too.
the sparks usually hit your belly (G) once I set my apron on fire (G)

atleast
burned a hole in it. but that happens when the belt is getting dull.

In case you hadn't noticed, the unit he referenced has a light-duty table, a
platen which rarely reaches the belt, and a spring tensioner. All are
disasters in waiting if he uses it toward the edge, tolerable if away. Oh
yes, on a narrow belt it's easier to run off the edge, too.

Now let's rethink the wheels - honing is better in the opposite direction.