Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Arch

Cut the blanks in 2" slabs, proceed to cut in to rings, then stack, glue
etc., you know the drill !!
Then again you could just go at it very carefully, and if your VS N3K
does give up the ghost, well than maybe you will have to UPGRADE GHiHi.
You can't take it with you even if you like !!!

Have fun and take good care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
I'm apprehensive about putting some 17"-19" dia. 4" to 8" thick wet NIP
blanks on my VS N3K with the headstock rotated and no tail support. I've
stressed mine before, but what is the experience & advice from you
engineers and those who have far exceeded the lathe's design limits?

My lathe stand, faceplates, toolrest etc. will be OK and I'll start up
from zero, but If things go wrong what likely happens to machines that
are far overstressed? A cracked head casting, ruined bearings or what?

I know, I know....give the blanks to a Stubby owner or buy one Arch, but
in the meantime....

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter