Grant Erwin

yourname wrote:
ut, freeing you or your operator to do other work.

Chop saws are for woodworkers who are machinist wannabe's.

You're joking, right?

Regards,

Robin

yeah, try cutting 4] 1/2 x4 lengths of 6061 into 5 inch pieces in 10
minutes with a bandsaw

Are you counting the sweepup time afterwards for all that swarf? :-)

Bandsaws are much cleaner and quieter; also smaller chop saws don't
work very well on larger solid stock. The smaller chop saws were designed
for steel 2x4 studs they use in new construction, *not* for cutting e.g.
1" solid square steel bar. I tried once and the blade cut down about halfway
and then would simply go no further. There had been a ball bearing or
something in the steel before it went to Asia to be remelted and the
intense heat of the grinding cut hardened it white hard locally. I showed
this half cut to a few guys all of whom were amazed. Wouldn't happen
with aluminum, of course. I'll take slower, quieter, less messy and more
precise every time in my little home shop.

GWE