DarylRos

o I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made?

Yes, and I have one. They actually tend to be high end equipment, since what
they give you is an ultra wide jointer.

The lowest end of that type is probably Inca, a 10" width, with crappy plastic
parts (if I sound bitter, I was glad to get rid of it), the other companies
that make them are all European combinaton machine companies: Felder (who also
reps Hammer), MiniMax and Laguna (who also reps Knapp, which makes Felder look
cheap).

I have the Felder, and find it excellent. Their tech support is also great. I
have a MiniMax bandsaw, and find their company also first rate. Both machines
have user groups in Yahoo/Groups. I don't have a Laguna, so I can't comment on
it.

A friend has the Hammer, and it's really a lowere end Felder, with less
adjusting capability. These machines can run from $3000 and up, I think the
Knapp may be close to $10,000.

If you are putting one in the basement, realize that, except for the Inca
(which has incredibly small tables, and all plastic gears), they weigh about
1,000 pounds and up. Lots of mass, lots of cast iron, very little vibration.
The Ffelder needs a 220v, 30amp circuit.