George

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

I've kind of figured P. ponderosa is not what the discussion
is about. However, none of my books on wood and trees, and
I have several, mention southern yellow pine. The problem
with common names is they are often indefinite and
confusing. And syp, seems to be a rather regional
designation. More at response to Mel. Thanks.

Good grief. You're sitting in front of a reference library. ANY search
engine would have flashed SYP in your face if you looked for pine lumber,
pine classification, or similar. It is a woodworkers' and wood producers'
designation.

FWIW, my 1949 _ TREES Yearbook of Agriculture_ lists the species indicated
as southern yellow pines.