George

"Silvan" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

Why? It was an alignment problem, not a level problem.

True, but if I could establish the level of the main body of the saw in a
sufficiently precise way, and then compare the level of the wing in a
similarly precise way, I could gauge how much the two planes diverge from
each other. It seems a reasonable enough theory; I just don't have
anything to measure levelness with sufficient precision to produce any
useful information.

I guess I need to come up with a really straight straight edge that

doesn't
flex, and some feeler gauges. Neither of which I have, or I would have
done it that way already.

You're going to work wood on this, aren't you? Need wood tolerance.
You'll be using a jointed edge to reference your cuts, use one now.