SPR wrote:
"Lucifer" wrote in message
I just bought a torch and other brass attachments. Brass is

tarnished and
dirty. What is the best method/products to use to clean them?
Thanks,
Steve

Why clean them? You'll just get them all dirty again... and maybe not

use it
because of the work you put into getting it all nice and shiny! I'd

just
make sure the valves are working correctly and all the passages are

clean
and open. Plus, you stand the chance of damaging something by
over-aggressive cleaning.
my .02

--
Stephen P. Reimers
Naval Salvage Officer

I've proven to my satisfaction that cleaning off and polishing the
welding tips keeps them from popping out while welding in close
quarters where there's a lot of reflected heat. Might not make as much
difference with cutting tips and attachments. Given the state of the
torches and tips I see in the welding supply shop for repairs, you've
got a lot of company in your thinking, some look like they've been
dipped in asphalt. If they're polished to start with, not talking new
ones here, they're a lot easier to keep clean afterwards. Usually just
a wipe-down with a rag takes care of it. Maybe a little ultra-fine
Scotchbrite if there's some slag on there. I haven't worn out a tip
yet doing that. I used Brasso initially on my set of used tips and
handle, took a couple of hours to clean them up. Something to do while
watching the tube.

Stan